Friday, March 21, 2008

No Burden

Hey, you guys pray for my mom and her spirits. After the palliative care team left today, she asked for me to sit down and talk with her and asked me what I "wanted her to do." I asked her what she meant and she said that she "didn't want to be a burden." Of course, I told her she wasn't a burden at all and if that is what she was asking then she should know that I want her to keep fighting this thing and to get better. I told her our first goal was to get out of this hospital and get home with hospice care. Our second goal would then be to "graduate" from hospice on the way to remission. She then squeezed my hand harder than I can remember in months. It was quite shocking actually as weak as she is. I told her that she was getting stronger and that we could focus on building her strength as much as possible. She then grabbed me with her other hand and squeezed it hard too. Just two days ago she had tremors and no strength in her hands as she couldn't even hold a toothbrush without dropping it right out of her hand.

She really needs to focus on building her lungs back up too. They are weak and she isn't getting the oxygen she needs. Pray for strength and that she will know that she is no burden to us. She is very sensitive about this and especially when she needs a lot of help moving in the bed, sitting up, getting to the bathroom or a bedpan, all of that stuff. We love her and she is no burden...

No comments: